Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Deer

While I was riding to the Senior Center yesterday, I often pass by a Forest Preserve Park. I was enjoying my favorite song written by Sugarland on the radio, when I saw a fawn on the road – dead - and lying in my lane. Quickly, I swayed to keep from hitting the animal. Immediately I turned off the radio. I felt sadness and an overwhelming compassion for the creature lying there killed needlessly.


Today, as I passed the Forest Preserve Park on my way to the Center, I looked for the spot where the fawn had laid on the road. There was no blood anywhere, nothing to remind me of deer. I felt calm, and an emotional relief. Quoting an over-used cliché, “it was out of sight and out of mind.” For the past 24 hours, I had experienced some cosmic vibration of empathy even though I had nothing to do with the death of the fawn.

At the end of the Forest Preserve Park is an opening and an entrance to the parking lot where people park their cars and do whatever they do. At this entrance, one-half a mile from where the fawn had died, was a large deer. I slowed my car down. At first, the doe looked like a statue, but then she stretched her neck and looked about the area. Hoisting one front leg in the air, the doe’s body language was one of anxiety. My thought was that the doe was looking for the fawn. As I continued down the road, I felt empty inside and then I felt distressed.

Why don’t I feel that way about fish?